Panagia Paramithia 45 minutes ⏱️
Distance from Rhodes 24km east coast, established at 1994, very well knowbeacauseof thespiritualand ecceptionalpersonality of arhimandriteof seraphim. Monastery keepscopy of holy icon of panagia paramythia that is kept in agio oros. Celebration day January 21.
Rhodes Panagia Tsambika 45 min
The Monastery of Panagia Tsambika in Rhodes, Dodecanese: The Monastery of Panagia Tsambika is located about 25 km south of Rhodes Town, between Kolymbia and Archangelos. The old monastery of Tsambika is built on top of a hill with a gorgeous view to the sea and the surrounding area, while the new monastery, which works today, is found on the road that connects Archangelos to Rhodes Town.
It is not known when the old monastery was founded, but we know that it was reconstructed in 1770 by a monk. Some resources mention that the altar to goddess Artemis would stand on the same site in the antiquity and sacrifices of animals used to take place there. This monastery was built according to the Dodecanesian architecture with hollow roof tiles. The floor of the temple and the yard are covered with pebbles and shells. Some icons date from the 19th century, while the iconostasis is even older.
The name of the monastery comes from the word tsamba, which means spark in the local dialect. In fact, tradition says that a local shepherd found an icon of Virgin Mary on top of the cliff, where the old monastery was later built, following a vigil light. The icon of Panagia Tsambika is considered miracle-working, particularly for the childless women, which is why many women offer to the icon of Panagia child dolls. This monastery is considered a protector of the island and in fact, many locals are named Tsambikos for men and Tsambika for women.
Tharri 45 minutes
From the inland resort of Lardos follow signs to Laerma, which is just north of Moni Tharri, famous for its 12th-century frescoes. Reached through a forest, the domed church was hidden from view in order to escape the attention of marauding pirates. According to legend, it was built in the 9th century by a mortally ill Byzantine princess, who miraculously recovered when it was completed.
The 12th-century north and south walls remain, and there are vestiges of the 9th-century building in the grounds. The nave, apse and dome are covered with frescoes. Some walls have four layers of paintings, the earliest dating as far back as 1100, while there are three layers in the apse dating from the 12th-16th centuries. These are more distinct, and depict a group of prophets and a horse’s head. The monastery has been extended and has basic accommodation for visitors.
Panagia Ipseni 45 minutes
monastery is situated in a forested area about 50 kilometers south of Rhodes Town. The monastery can be reached via an exit from the village of Lardos. At a junction you than have to go to the left. You pass several newer monasteries and churches before you reach the monastery of Panagia Ipseni. The monastery was already inhabited in the early Christian era. The current structure is of much later date. The founder of the present monastery is called Saint Melitios and he was born in nearby Lardos. He miraculously found an icon after he saw a beam of light from the sky pointing to the roots of an olive tree. There he found buried in the ground the Panagia Ipseni icon. While he was praying Panagia Ipseni appeared and she asked him to rebuild the monastery and name it after her. In another vision he was told where a hidden treasure was buried so he could afford to do this. In 1839 Saint Melitios began rebuilding the church. The icon of Panagia Ipseni is still the pride of the monastery. It is located on the right hand side of the church. People come to pray to the icon to be healed of diseases. The other treasure of the monastery are the holy relics of Saint Melitios.
Panagia Skiadeni 45 minutes
This monastery is dedicated to the Panagia Skiadeni located on Stavros Hill near the village Messanagros, on the south side of the island. It is estimated that it was built between the 9th and the 11th century and since then it has undergone many transformations until its current form. It was built in this particular location, as the icon of Panagia was found here by three ascetics. During the Ottoman Empire, it provided shelter to the persecuted by the Turks, operated as a school and performed charity work. In the church, there are two icons of Panagia: the one found by the three ascetics and a second one, which is transferred to the surrounding villages lodging in houses of believers during Lent. The monastery celebrates on the 8th of September (The Nativity of the Theotokos).